'"You've got me, anyhow. I'm not good for much, I know; but I'll stand by you, Jo, all the days of my life; upon my word I will!" and Laurie meant what he said.'
- Little Women
i finally understand why little women is such a classic. it has such a subtle way of imparting various virtues and life's lessons, slowly but surely warming and touching the hearts of readers. it's amazing how four girls living in poverty can live such happy and fulfilling lives. what i feel makes the novel special is the fact that, unlike in many other books, the characters all have their flaws and shortcomings highlighted and focussed on, making them all the more human and real. character development in the book is fantastic. it is the girls' flaws and remarkably distinctive personalities that allow readers to relate to their lives and experiences, and it is this that moves them, making the girls, as quoted from the back of the novel, "four of American literature's most beloved women". the lessons in life which the book imparts are feasible, and thus have the power to inspire others to follow by example. oh what i would give to live a life as rich as their's.
i hate the harbourfront bus stop in the mornings. SINGAPOREANS ! UGH.